Amazon provides a very simple, easy to use interface which can be used by the sellers to populate all the data relevant to their products. And once you know what to put in these fields, then it makes it very easy for you to implement any changes. But listing and sales growth are not always natural. Both Amazon and Google are driven by the search algorithm and what they value for natural ranking is much different.
Amazon’s A9 algorithm is made up of several important factors that take some time to understand. And what is valuable for Amazon in search is that the customer should be able to find your product before the other seller’s product. Actually what happens is that customers search by entering the keyword that best matches their requirements and then Amazon matches the given information that you provide for the product. There are various factors such as title, text, price, availability, and sales history that are matched to find out where your product appears on the customer’s search results. So, providing the necessary information about the product will help you in increasing the visibility and sales of your products.
Generally, on Amazon, sales bring sales and Amazon will give priority to those listings that it feels has the best chance of converting to purchase. While there are wide range of factors that determine how the Amazon algorithm ranks your product. For Amazon, perfection is more than making a product “look good”.
Below are the some of the factors that should be considered while positioning your listing for Amazon
- Your listing must contain targeted and buyer-oriented keywords.
- Increase the number of suitable keywords for your listing.
- Make sure that your listing is “retail-ready” by focusing on elements that ensure conversion.
- Begin sales and conversion for your listing from starting
Your Listing Must Contain Targeted and Buyer-Oriented Keywords
One of the common mistakes when it comes to the keyword is that not being careful while listing the keywords. Many listings are based on just title, color, brand, size, and use types and end with a list of 5-10 keywords. Product listing is one of the main aspects of building and maintaining an e-commerce store. So, by outsourcing this service to Faith e-commerce Services, we will take care of the keywords and start our research by looking at the company’s website, the product, its value and our target customer profile.
There are times when the customer didn’t know the brand or the name of the product then how would they find the product? So, in this case, we expand our research by looking at its alternative uses and by its competitive listings. And then we take each of these words and run them individually on the merchant tool, which will identify the missed additional words and also find out the estimated number of monthly search volume. This data and frequency of keywords will help us in prioritizing which word will be used in the listing. It is important to understand the role of keyword, as keyword is the phrase of the words that are used to target the buyer. It’s not just focusing on the words that you used to describe your product but the words that your ideal customer uses to describe your product.
Increase the Number of Suitable Keywords for Your Listing
The primary method that customer uses to find the product on Amazon is through search. So, index the keywords in such a way that your product appears on the Search Engine Result Page at any point in ranking. There are various places where you can set the words to become indexed for a listing on Amazon.
Moreover, customer buying patterns can also allow you to become indexed for a listing. But, below are a few areas that you need to focus on for the keywords.
- Back end keywords
- Structured or other data
Title: Title should be brief but informative and omit keyword stuffing as it is where you put the most significant keywords. This usually includes the brand name, product name, size, and description of the product. And Amazon has been making efforts to sort and arrange the ways, the title appears on it. There are specific guidelines for the titles and keeping the title perfect for the buyer conversion can highly improve your keyword ranking. Images and title are the ones that appear on the top of the page for most Smartphone users. Hence, your title should be clear and relevant so that it helps customers identify the resultant product that is relevant to their search query.
Bullets: This is the next place where you can place the keywords for your product but make sure that it is appealing to the targeted buyer. The bulleted points should answer all the questions that a customer would look for if they can touch and feel the product. It must include the product size, flavor, uses, compatibility, material, and the problems that the product can solve.
Backend Keywords: Backend keywords are the hidden keywords that provide Amazon additional information about the listing. This is the best place that can be used to put the alternate words that you may not want to be visible on the main page. These keywords help in ranking the listing organically. But you can enter only 250 bytes in the backend keywords and make sure that no keyword is repeated in the title, structured data and bullet points.
Structured Data: Structured data makes the product easily searchable. Amazon provides a lot of category-specific possibilities to select fields of the product like color, genre, fabric type, range, etc. and you can fill as many of these fields as you like. This allows you to identify that your product for example shoes is black in color, leather material and is for men’s, even if these specific keywords don’t fit well in the title or the bullet points of the listing. Though Amazon has put these fields in the interface under “more details” and it is important to note that the fields available in the “more details” section of the listing are dependent on the subcategory for the product so your product must be in the appropriate subcategory because of the live relevancy advertising.
Make Sure That Your Listing Is “Retail-Ready” By Focusing On Elements That Ensure Conversion
You can look at the detailed sales and traffic report if you are in a doubt that your product is not selling because it is not picking up enough traffic or is not converting the traffic that it is getting. Here you can see:
- Page views
- Order session percentage
- Buy box percentage
Areas to focus on for conversion:
- Various High-Quality Images: you can use as many images as you have with you. In addition to this, you can use infographics that reflect:
- Live photo of the product in use.
- Any product changing i.e. showing both expandable and folded down bag.
- The advantages that you highlighted in the bullet points.
- The image showing size and measurement.
- Prime Eligibility: by moving your product from merchant fulfilled to prime eligible offer, you can see an increase of over 400% in sales rate. 3 ways are using which you can make your product prime eligible:
- Using Seller-fulfilled Prime through Seller Central.
- Using Amazon’s fulfillment by Amazon through Seller Central.
- By selling your product through Amazon Vendor Central.
- Better Video and Brand Content: You can participate in the Brand Registry Program if you have a live hallmark. This will give you the ability to add videos and improved brand content. And this enhanced brand content can lift the conversion rate by 7-11% and videos can have an even more impressive rise on appropriate products. So, adding videos to your listing is one extra benefit of being part of the brand registry program.
- Reviews: Amazon wants its customer’s voice to be heard. So, reviews by customers ensure that Amazon is showing the products that the customer is looking for. Hence, reviews can be a way to help increase search rankings. As reviews let the search engine know that the search item was entered, and the product detail page was viewed, the purchase was made, and the customer liked/disliked the product.
Begin Sales and Conversion for Your Listing From Starting
Once you have the improved listing, then part of organic ranking begins by getting some sales to signal Amazon that your listing will be a good fit for the keyword that you are targeting.
Ways to jump start those initial sales:
- Coupons and promotions: by offering the coupon codes and discounts you can lower the friction and encourage buyers to buy the products.
- Black-Hat Tactics: if you want to have a long-term relationship for selling on Amazon then you need to make sure that you are staying with approved white hat tactics for growth. And if you are changing the system or causing a negative customer experience, then Amazon could suspend or ban you from the site completely. So, sellers should know that Amazon is constantly changing its algorithm and guidelines to investigate the groups behind fake reviews and sales rank manipulation.
Conclusion: Keep testing new images, content and growing techniques to find what works excellent for your product.